Friday, May 20, 2011

Swimming Lessons

Brooks started swimming lessons last week. They were Mon-Thurs for 2 weeks only. I have been a little worried about having 2 kids at the pool with me all summer and thought swimming lessons would be a great idea. B can build some water confidence and I won't be so paranoid. Well, it backfired on me! The first day he was a little nervous, but got in the water and did what the teacher asked him to do. He held onto the wall and kicked his feet, and laid on the noodle float and kicked around the pool. I thought, this is awesome, I'm so proud! Well, toward the end, he got outta the pool and would not go back in. We went home and talked about why he was scared. He was afraid he would sink, so I asked him if he saw anyone sink today and he said no. I told him that the teacher, lifeguard, and most of all mommy, would never let him sink. He said ok, and would get back in. So days 2 and 3 were not so good. He would only sit by the side of the pool and never got in. I tried bribing him (he usually won't take them), but at the end of day 3 he took the bait. He wants a new engine for his Thomas track (Henry), so I told him if he gets in and swims, he can have him. (I've been holding on to this train for 3 months, waiting for the perfect time to give it to him). I wasn't sure if I should push him because in my experience in doing that with him, it always blows up in my face. The bribe had to work! It was now day 4 and he wouldn't get in the pool, so with the help of the teacher, at the end i tossed him into her. He screamed bloody murder the entire minute he was in with her. He never went under and she held his hands while he kicked. After he got out he said "I did it! I can have my Henry now!!" GREAT (I thought sarcastically)! We went home and he got his Henry. He talked about swimming all weekend and we even practiced in my garden tub. I thought for sure he was ready and it can only get better. Boy was I wrong! That next week he progressively got more scared and would scream every time we got anywhere near the pool. I got him to sit on the side beside me twice and that was as far as we got. He never got back in, and after he successfully talked a big game everyday about how he was gonna get in, then never did, I gave up. He ended up being more scared of the pool than he has ever been. I bought a puddle jumper for him to wear for the summer and am just gonna do A LOT of praying for patience (for me) and confidence (for him). We'll see what the summer brings, but I'm not setting any expectations anymore...they only get you into trouble! I've posted 2 pics of him the 1st day he actually got in HA!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers